BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Adding white wine, lemon juice and garlic gives a little kick to green beans. It was enough to turn our old, traditional holiday side into a year-round favorite.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
MAKES: 8 servings
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 9 cups frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup equals 176 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain. In the same skillet, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the green beans, salt, garlic powder and pepper; heat through. Stir in lemon juice and bacon. Yield: 8 servings